View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Supporting Vendor

Here is what I know about that engine. There is one of these buggies in the neighborhood which has had 6 owners in the past 5 years. First it was the rear axle, custom made from a place in Florida was 400.00 per axle. Seems no one wants to spend that so they sell it to someone else which they than call me for the axle. The original owner sold it to someone for 1500.00 with a bad axle which he had someone local weld it for much less. Didn't last a week so he sold it. Each time it was sold for a cheaper price. I would then be called to find an axle. The last one to purchase it got it for 200.00. He too called for an axle. Since there are no axles to be found I referred him to the place in Florida. He too did not like the price. Finally 2 years later he sent them the axle for repairs. Buggy run great until he lost a valve and destroyed the head. This was about the time I was told the DS-250 parts would work. The neighbor now asked me if I could get a head. I told him what I had heard. Since he works in Memphis he brought the head to the Can AM dealer for a new one. When the dealer told him the head was 400.00 plus stripped he declined and sought out an ATV bone yard which they said they had one complete and good for 200.00, so he drove 2 hours to purchase. He had brought the old head with him to compare and the used one he bought was identical, so he thought. When he tried to install the head he found that the bolt pattern was different. Prior to all this several years ago I had contacted SYm looking for parts for the Carter 250 and was told that they get calls all the time and from their experience he said, although the engines look identical and built by SYM the Carter SYM was made to Carter specs and were different. So not to dispute what anyone says about this particular engine this is what I have run into with this engine.