View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 07:48 AM
Heavy Contributor

Unhappy Attention to detail fail..

My NCOs in the Army would always push the importance of "ATTENTION TO DETAIL", making sure to do the job correct the first time. This applies to bolt torque levels too. I wanted to double check my valve clearance before taking my new motor on it's first semi-hard run. I didn't have a torque wrench out in the boondocks, so I just tightened up the bolts to the valve cover when I was done, not crazy tight mind you, but a bit too tight as it turned out. I putted around getting the motor up to temp. Well after a couple runs at about 3/4 throttle a hear a *PING!!* and things get noisy and another *PING!!* and I smell hot oil..Dang it if I didn't have two valve cover bolts snap halfway down their hole.. I won't bore you on how badly the broken bolt extraction went.. On the plus side, I was talking to Taida and they have these cool new valve covers The new Taida catalog is 4.8MB, so just a tad too big to attache to a forum post. I'll put up a pic, when my stuff gets in..
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B