View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Supporting Vendor

I would put one up. The new ones come with chrome linned barrels unlike the original chromium lined barrels. Most of the AK ammo is metal jacketed with either a very thin copper plating or a copper wash. Buy the time the bullet reaches the muzzle end it is metal to metal. After time depending on how good the chrome was applied it will start to flake off and the accuracy goes to hell. Its best to only run lead core copper jacketed bullets but they cost more. The russians, chinese and eastern block had the chromium lined barrels in which the barrel itself has no rifling. the barrel is heated and a chromium sleeve with rifling if pressed in. Chromium is very hard and not plating so the use of steel jacketed ammo is no problem. Now if you have a pre 1993 AK it will have the lined barrel
After the assault weapons ban the AK's could not contain more then 10 foreign parts and that part of the ban still exists today. Some were buying the kits and building them on US recievers. These are concidered illegal but I don't know of anyone checking AK's for more then 10 import parts. Just food for thought. If someone posesses one of these it is a fellony just like a full auto. In fact the new regulations state that before a gunsmith can blue a firearm he must posess a license to manufacture. For real, I was told this and I pretty much told the person in a kind way that he was full of sh!t but on my last inspection I asked the compliance officer and he not only confirmed it to be true he also give me a copy of the new regulation. To tell if it is chromium jst look at the muzzle and if chromed the end will look of one type of metal just like your hunting rifle. If chromium you will see the steel of the barrel but you will also see the chromium sleeve for it will not have taken any bluing or parkerizing. My personal e-mail is sycarms@bellsouth.net .

Last edited by SYCARMS; 09-11-2012 at 10:21 PM. Reason: adding content