Thread: My Spiderbox
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 08:07 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
The main message here is always wear at least a DOT approved helmet, quality seat belts and arm restraints. You may go through life never needing them but all it takes is one time to spoil the whole rest of your life.

I whole heartily agree!
Add to that... Those who don't take advantage of all the safety equipment available are those who haven't been injured YET!
If you mess around with these buggies long enough ,it's not a matter of "IF", it's a matter of "WHEN" !!!
And when considering arm restraints? .. the first instinct when in a roll over is put a arm out in a futile attempt to catch yourself. It takes a conscience effort and steady nerve to NOT let go of that wheel! I've witness several injuries occurred by people not paying attention to this instinct. Smashed fingers, sprained wrists, and broken bones, etc. Your not going to stop a 400+lb buggy from going over but you will try!
You don't want the cheap restraint that loop around the steering column.
You DO want the more expensive type that are incorporated into the belt latch.
Reasoning being, the loop type are effective but have to be undone Before your able to release the belt. you may not be able to reach you belt latch without removing them first. you may be able to release the belt but your still tethered to the buggy.
The latch types are released with the same motion required to release the belts. Releasing the belt latch lets the whole system fall free.
IMO.The whole discussion of what is needed or not is mute. I've heard it numerous times. " I should have worn this or I wished I had that" I've never heard some one say "This stuff got me hurt !"