View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
This is from an '04 model spiderbox that I modified a few years ago. I moved the rack down with a simple plate and re-enforcement half tube. Realigned & welded the angle for the ball joint tabs on the A-arms and added 12'' shocks for an even chassis clearance of 11". You have to shorten the driverside tie rod by cutting it in half and rewelding it back.Buggy Depot will rebuild your A-arms or just make the triangle tabs and do it yourself.Multiple of things happened with this mod-better turning radius,6-1/2" of wheel travel(3" stock),total stability of the kart in a hard turn without roll-over. I have 2nd generation spindles and the first thing I did was change the axle to 3/4" doing exactly as ckau wrote except I went longer with a bushing behind the wheel so I could use wider wheels if I wanted.Also I redrilled the driverside steering tab closer to the tube, that reduced the turning radius 3' all by itself. This kart has been well abused by my wife on some pretty extreme hills without failure
One thing about this type of suspension modification. You have to keep the steering tie-rods running parallel with the a-arms. Otherwise you will experience "bump steer. Where the tie-rods travel in a different arch than the a-arms, causing the wheels to toe in or out during suspension travel. You feel this in the steering wheel as a jerking or binding as the suspension works up and down.