View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 12:50 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Long time GY6 owner looking to get a 4 seat buggy... possibly a 300cc.

Hi... I’m try to do a little look-before-I leap.

I have had a second-hand ASW Scorpion (variant of a 6150) for 8 years now. I bought it not running for $300 and brought it back to life with a new choke and a carb clean out. At the time, I just had one kid but the family has expanded to 2 more. While I used to be able to pile in a couple easily, I realize they’re just getting too big and all 3 like to poke around the trails behind my house to fish with me.

I’ve been looking at some 4-seat models of Trailmaster... that, to me, just like stretch-frame versions of my current old buggy. In 8 years... I’ve put maybe $100-150 in the thing... A13 cam, springs and weights to make it good for its purpose... poking around muddy roads to get me to my fishing hole at <20 MPH. It had piston/sleeve/rings out of need... ignition... wiring... lights... randomness, but has done well. It does everything I need from it, short of being big enough... otherwise I’d never consider getting anything else.

I noticed there were GY6 based versions of 4-seater Trailmasters, some with FI vice a carb. There was also a 300cc version that I haven’t really been able to find info/videos on compared to all the scooter/buggy info on 150cc GY6s. All the videos I see are just sales ads it seems. While my current buggy has needed a little TLC here and there, it’s been remarkably cheap and easy to work on and I’ve never felt under engined after I swapped cams. Before? It was a bit anemic.

So my question is: how does a FI GY6 variant or the XRS-4 300cc variant engine compare to the carb 150cc GY6 variant in ease of repair, parts cost and reliability for just general trail riding? I’m a little leery that the added bulk of a 4 seat frame might make a GY6 be so far from its scooter-roots, it’s just out of its element. At the same time, having had a GY6 for 8 years and put very little money it in along to keep it going, I’m wondering if it’d be better to stick with what I know and just gets carb GY6 and make it do what I want using similar mods and maybe just going to a larger sprocket to compensate for the added bulk.

I appreciate whatever insights for those who’ve experienced both can share.
A13 Cam, 12g sliders