View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 08:23 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by APW View Post
The bulked is a new one I ordered from BMI.

The welds look pretty bad, but I went over them a second time with the wire speed way down and the motion much slower. It filled in the connection, but still looked bumpy. I ground a few of them down, and they looked better. I just got a little fed up with the process, seeing that my grinder couldn't reach the little nooks and crannies.

My neighbor is a welder, so I may have him look at them. I just don't want to go over them too many times and weaken the metal.

Thanks for the insight.

Cheers
Welding takes practice, lots of practice. Get some scrap metal and run some beads, a lot of beads. Weld two pieces of metal together and then try to break the weld. MIG or flux core in this case can be made to look really good and not hold diddly. Your best friend is your grinder, grind out the old weld and redo, putting more weld on top of bad does not help. Turn up the voltage or wire feed above the settings on the door, you want to hear bacon frying when running a bead.
I have been welding a l o n g time and still learning!! And wow What a beautiful job your doing, I wish I had your talent.