View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 09:21 AM
Supporting Vendor

Corporate does not want any competition. Origionaly Congress tried several years ago to pass legislation to force e-commerce to charge sales tax. Someone challenged the law as unconstitutional since a state could not collect sales tax from another state when the buisness did not take place in their jurisdiction. The new law proposed will basically deputise the e-commerce business to be tax collector and collect taxes for any state they do e-commerce with. For example before the last law was overturned I would have collected MS sales tax on all transactions and paid them to the state of MS as I do on all local sales made in the state. This new law would require me to collect sales tax for the state I made the sale to then send the procedes to them. For instance in MS when I collect the tax I mail the tax collected quarterly to the state tax commission. Now Tupelo, Ms has a 1/4 % sales tax above the 7% the state charges. This new law would change this since we would assume the responsibility of tax collection of the state which not only as I do now require me to collect the state tax but also the city 1/4% tax then send collected tax to state and city. When you take into account there are 50 states with many cities with their tax above the states % and then there are many counties which charge a % this is where the 9600 jurisdictions to collect taxes comes from. It would be up to me to find out what each tax rate is and the timeline for which I have to have the taxes paid. This would with the resources and time spent add quite a bit to the price I would have to charge making it impossible to come close to competeing . This would affect everyone even those who sell on Craigslist or Ebay. So this does not affect a business only but every private sale made by anyone using e-comerce. Many states make the people get a permit to hold garage sales then collect sales taxes on the sold items. Now I'm sure someone will come up with a program to collect these taxes for you like ebay would figure then collect the taxes for say if you sold your buggy to someone in another state. But fee's would be charged along with the taxes and shipping this will pretty much shut down much of the e-commerce since you will no longer get the deals you now get when concidering most buy online for the conveniance and good prices. It would now cost more then if bought locally. This would also force many home businesses to pay their states acessment taxes which would open ones house to an annual state inspection where they acess all invetory, furnature, equiptment, supplies used to run the business. So if you use one room of the house for the business everything in that room would be taxed, computer, desk, chair, lamp, lights anything used for that business, even the room used for that business. This is in addition to your property taxes. This is for real and would affect everyone in one way or another. So please make the 2 calls to your senator and Wicker telling them you want not even parts of that law to be vored in.

TOM