View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Power User

Got the shock mounts tacked up last night, pretty pleased with the result. It looks a little "quadi-ish". I was able to do so tests with me in it to see where it will end up loaded and unloaded. I'll be using the 3-hole arm mounts and a plate with an underside cross brace for the final mounts on the arms. The cross bar up top moved on me, it's about 3/32nds low on the right side. I'm building this thing with closer tolerances than on my bird or mga

The pic with the coffee can under and the side view pic it is the final tested ride height with me in it and tires on it. If i leave the shocks be, i can gain or lose clearance by changing the axle location. This would be with the axle about 1.5 inches above the top of the arm.

The pic with the wood slats just shows the unloaded attitude of the arms. The slats slide easier than the tires will when initially sitting in it. but once moving it should settle in about where i show it with the coffee can.

I notched the cross tube so that as close to parallel to the arms as i could get. one of those endless grind-fit-grind-fit jobs.

For now, the stock steering will get modified and beefed up until i can afford or create a rack ...maybe soon if my neighbor the picker/scrapper comes across something, maybe spring if i have to buy. BTW--the stering mount tubing is a control arm ---just in case someone bends one bad, you could always swap them ....

Now for the fun part

Costs to date ....
Cart = $350
Mods = $128 ...
Cro mo tubing (good for 4 arms, spindles, rear frame pivots) =$10
3/4 rod stock for arm & pivot bolts =$ 10
tires = $20
hubs = $40 (found a pair at buggies gone wild)
Various bronze bearings (1 dozen new so far)= $48

I still think i'm ahead of the game instead of buying a used box with unequal arms. half my costs are in the hubs and tires and I still would've bought the rod, tubing and some of the bearings for the rear frame pivot. I'd still need those items plus things like heims or ball joints. only "loss" is that i would've gotten a rack with the box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sarm11.jpg (32.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg sarm12.jpg (36.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg sarm13.jpg (26.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg sarm14.jpg (23.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg sarm15.jpg (34.1 KB, 47 views)