View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Power User

The last few nights have been --to steal Metal's terminology -- "BS sessions" I did get my rims/tires finished and realigned the top shock bar-- it's an eighth inch off side to side, when i ground out the notches to get it to settle down to a level position I lost my centerlines a bit. Haven't decided yet as to whether i'll mig shut and re-drill a mount hole ---more fiddly work

Just been banging ideas around as to a way to make a heavy duty enough spindle bracket/support, the ends of the arms are going to be carrying a lot more weight than the stock ones, and the stronger i make it the better and worse it gets That's the main reason i'm after the golf cart hubs, the weight savings over trailer types or my mower spindles is in the 1-3 pound each range.

Anyway, the latest idea is below, using some box tube from a broken deck mower towing arm and my old Scag seat mounting plates. The rectangular holes match the box tube perfectly (just a touch of filing) the bottom plate will be bent to incline the box tube and both top and bottom plates will be braced to the box tube, which will also have a brace going back to the plate on the arm. I'm going to use the cro-mo for the main spindle tube (found a source for bronze bearings at $2.00 a pop) and plan to set it far enough out from the box tube to increase the turning radius. for the steering arm, i'm thinking about cutting the stock arm right at the center of the end bend and having that curve swing straight up with a nut welded on it to thread the steering rod end into. Thoughts, flaws, criticisms, suggestions???? all welcome

Other idea --thanks or no thanks??? to Mike for triggering it ... Is to make the bottom plate hinged to the swingarm and instead of welding a brace between the back of it and the arm's plate, attach a turnbuckle. That would allow me to adjust and set kingpin inclination with the turn of a wrench. maybe mo-money, but i may have a few solid body turnbuckles up at work. Whether the threads would survive the abuse is another matter.

Overall, a lot of work so far to make an enhanced version of the stock single arm set-up. really kicking myself for overdrilling that first hole! When the time comes though, going to a dual arm setup won't be too difficult as I'll be half done with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sarm16.jpg (30.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg sarm17.jpg (34.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg sarm18.jpg (29.1 KB, 36 views)