View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Power User

right after i posted last night i rummaged in my cro-mo tubing box and pulled out some cut-off ends from making the arms. They're already tube-notched on one side and have my 22.5 angle cut on the other and are about an inch long. I'm going to tack one on the left side arm closer to the kingpin to give the "equalizing offset". I can set it so I have it forward enough so that if it works, i can put one on the other side further back ....then lop off a pound of unnecessary steel. I can't "triangulate" the arms much more than i have, otherwise they hit the mounting bracket's square upright tube sooner and limit the turning radius. BTW, the green bump stop is part of a mini golf putting green tee pad. I think i'm going to do a "list" photo like you did of yours, pretty funny what this thing is made out of.

I've been hitting the negatives pretty hard for obvious reasons, one big positive is the unequal front and rear track. I take the "dive-in" tight approach to corners, a remnant of 20+ years of DH mountain biking. With the old equal track, I was snagging rocks, trees and stumps with the rear tires to the point i was worrying that i'd bend the rear axle (if i haven't yet). Now, i can run the edge of whatever's in the corner and just hard turn it through without a worry. If i do anything with the back, i will widen it a bit, but still not as much as the front end. It's also very easy to do a VW "3-point" turn without it feeling unsettled. First couple times i did that, i didn't realize the back tire was in the air. Another positive are the limiter cables on the front arms. For working on it, it's really nice not to fight full arm drop when the front end is on the jackstand. Now i don't have to pull the shock to make it easier to work on it. I'd consider setting up tabs for them on any kart even if it's just to hook them up only in the garage.