Old 12-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedshopmike View Post
good move.
ps: weight weenies win races.
colin chapman wasn't stupid.
add lightness.
I know all about that --I have an 18-pound DH mountain bike hanging in the basement. My 35-40 pounder is hanging in the garage. I was the king of the weight weenies on that scene--and the last hardcore fully rigid rider in the region. (of course rigid bikes came back into fashion after i gave up on beating the hell out of myself.) Aluminum frames, forks and titanium yum yum. And yes, I grew up knowing all about Rockville BMX )))) Still have my PK Ripper--aluminum--see a trend? ran a lot of war of the stars on the east coast.
Only reason i bring up the bikes is that i discovered an interesting parallel between this kart and my bikes. When i rode the lightweight stuff, it was ALL about technical ability. When i went front and rear suspension on the heavy rig, it became far less about technical skill and more about just punching it straight into the rocks and getting a good "posting" rhythm going through over all the boulders. Had to go that route because the courses i was racing up in the catskills have monster cliff drops.
Before all this fab fun, driving the yerf was the same way, picking through the smoothest line in the rocks as fast as i could. Now i aim for the big stuff. ))))
As far as keeping the "mono" I'm pretty sure that won't happen. I don't like the severity of camber change it brings, that's also playing into the steering issues. Getting the upright to move vertically instead of in an arc will really put this where i want it. The main tubes are cut and the jig is sitting off to the side ready to finish the 6 little pieces prior to welding. After that, it's just the expense of the heims. Despite adding a second arm, i'll be able to cut a lot of weight off that upright (and the end of the arm where it matters most) while turning it into the spindle. Don't worry, i'm still a weight weenie. Hell, i knocked almost 300 pounds off the bird's nose and you know first hand what the distribution on those is with a 455.

As far as video goes, that's what i was working on when the yerf hit the garage with the busted spindle. my JVC's battery lasts all of a minute and the helmet cam quality is garbage. I may put the jvc on the charger outside on my tripod. I'm thinking of doing a walking video first then either an on-board or the static view. The woods are pretty clear right now. Problem i' having is that it's frosting about 2 inches each night and then thawing in the sun by 10 am. I'm, just tearing the hell out of the top inch or so and spinning like mad.