View Single Post
Old 02-14-2022, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Update: I figured I'd pull the HH in the shop since it's been setting for almost a year. I needed to come up with a reverse for this and in the last year I ended up with 3 more Polaris ATV's with gear cases suitable for this build. I needed to figure out how to get the spacing of the sprockets to work. I only had 4"+/- between the motor sprocket and the IRS sprocket. Scratched my head for several hrs & came up with a way to extend the engine sprocket out enough to fit a Polaris 250/325 tranny in the space available (needed 2-3/4" more). Could have made jack shafts but that seemed too busy back there with all the supports! This is the method I came up with-see the pic's.

For clarification purposes-The drive chain from the motor is #520 to match the Polaris type sprockets (stock Kawasaki used 520)both drive sprockets are stock Polaris. I made my shaft extension out of an old gear case shaft with the Z-22 O.D. spline.The chain guard for the Kawasaki had 2 un-used raised bosses on the interior side that I took advantage of to secure the shaft extension bearing with a fairly simple bracket. I then demo-ed a warped Polaris driven pulley for the splined shaft for the output sprocket, turned it down on the lathe to slide a left-over #530 x 15t sprocket from a Suzuki 650 motor. I aligned it with the IRS sprocket and welded it in place. Of course everything is non-destructive to the tranny & Kawasaki motor if I ever need to go back and use them for what there were designed for. The chain cover is less than $20. on Ebay to replace-shaft is custom but totally serviceable if I need to replace something.
I'm waiting on some 1/2 links to come in-I ordered them with the #530 chain I ordered & they don't fit, the Ebay supplier used a different manufacturer for the links just to satisfy my order not knowing they wouldn't work with different makers of chains. I'll continue with other stuff-pipes/muffler,CV boot servicing, wiring it and verify that my drive train works. Tons of other stuff to do but these items dictate whether to continue spending $$$

Last edited by metalstudman1; 02-14-2022 at 12:06 PM. Reason: add pic's