View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Contributor

ok, some good stuff, some bad.
discovered my dog already has a 9 tooth sprocket, so 1 brand new 9 tooth sprocket for sale!
clearanced out the center of the lower shock mounts to allow the SC shocks to go in the outside hole.
MAJOR improvement; i can actually bounce it now.
it no longer rests at full droop and the tie rod's safely clear of the frame tube.
oddly, between the tall back shocks moving weight forward and the stiffer fronts, steering effort at rest has gone up an enormous amount.
still no test drive but i think that alone will be a huge improvement.
tightened up and added washers to all the rollcage mounts.
90% of the clanks are gone.
all that appears to be left making noise, again just bouncing it around the garage, are the swingarm hinges; they're quite loose.
for now i'm gonna go ahead and bush them.

put my biggest channellocks on the rear shock preload collars to try to go full soft; scraped off a buncha fresh paint for my efforts but unable to change preload.
must find spanner.

think i'm gonna cut a 2x4 to use as an engine spacer to tension the belt adequately for now.
spent 30 minutes looking for a die grinder bit to slot the j'shaft holes, no joy.
speaking of, found the jshaft bearings are crunchy and hard to turn; probably eating 1/2 HP just in spinning the shaft.

still wanna find a cheap 7" driven pulley since an 8 tooth sprocket wouldn't last long if anyone even makes one.