View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Supporting Vendor

Default Marketplace Fairness Act PLEASE READ

Hey everyone needs to read this and act on it immediately tomorrow or as soon as you see it for this can happen any day now. Here is a breif then I'll attach the letter. The Marketplace Fairness Act is a sales tax on Internet sales. What's bad about this is if it passes into law I will be out of the e-commerce business for I would have to collect record and pay sales taxes to over 9000 state, city, county jurisdictions. This is getting heavy lobbying from WalMart and other lge. dept. box stores as well as Amazon. I had called my 2 senators earlier and comfirmed this with their aids. PLEASE read the below letter and follow the instructions. Only 2 calls to be made.

Thanks TOM

Dear Thomas,

The statists have wasted no time launching all-out assaults on our liberties, even though the new Congress is less than three months old.

According to Capitol Hill sources, proponents of an Internet sales tax are seeking to include all, or at least provisions of, their so-called “Marketplace Fairness Act” into a budget resolution during the Senate Banking Committee markup, which started today.

And if they can’t do it there, they may try to add it on the Senate floor.

This legislation, which is more accurately called the “National Internet Sales Tax Mandate,” “deputizes” small business owners as state tax collectors to collect sales taxes from your online purchases!

Senators pushing this legislation love to use feel-good catchphrases to describe it, hoping to convince us this bill would create a “level playing field” and ensure businesses pay “their fair share.”

But in reality, this bill threatens to stifle the next Internet start-up while it’s still in its infancy.

In fact, by ignoring the “physical presence” standard established by the Supreme Court ruling in Quill Corp v. North Dakota, a new, more burdensome, bureaucratic tax regime will emerge.

Here are just a few reasons why it’s so devastating.

The National Internet Sales Tax Mandate would:

*** Stifle Competition: The Mandate creates barriers to entry in the Internet marketplace that would keep only the largest businesses competitive. Small businesses with a gross income over $1 million annually would be forced to familiarize themselves and comply with the 9,600 distinct taxing jurisdictions across the country.

*** “Deputize” Business Owners: As stated above, business owners are forced to become tax collectors and are responsible for calculating, collecting, and remitting tax obligations to all of those 9,600 jurisdictions with their unique rates, definitions, and exemptions.

*** Raise Taxes: The Mandate would force you to pay higher taxes if you buy goods online, even if you live in a state with no sales taxes! Worse yet, this legislation removes any downward pressure on sales tax rates, since many individuals and businesses required to pay them will be located out of state and have little, if any, recourse against politicians who hike tax rates.

I need your help right now if we’re going to defeat this legislation.

Senator, Roger Wicker, is on the Senate Budget Committee.

This is the first time in four years the Senate will markup a budget resolution.

And it’s the first time this issue has come up for a serious vote since 2001.

I need you to call your Senator and Senator Roger Wicker at 202-224-6253 and demand they oppose any attempt to include all, or provisions of, the misnamed “Marketplace Fairness Act” in any budget resolution considered by the Senate Budget Committee.

Also, urge them to oppose adding the full bill or any provisions of it through action on the Senate floor.

I just faxed a letter to both Republicans and Democrats on the Senate Budget Committee telling them the same thing, but to keep this from happening, we’re going to need some reinforcements.

Please take a moment today to place a phone call to your senator in support of lower taxes.

Thanks for all that you continue to do for liberty.

In Liberty,

John Tate