View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 06:14 PM
Heavy Contributor

If this legislation was to pass congress in it's present state of proposal the effects would basically spell doom for e-commerce as we know it today. And what's really scary is the proponents of this bill know that! I find it very hard to believe congress doesn't realize the impact it would place on the "mom&pop" businesses that can only survive through e-commerce. It's obviously a attempt by big business to level the playing field. It would be effective. and what's worse, state and local municipalities would be on board enticed by added revenues.
As consumers we could realistically expect a 15 to 20% increase in the cost of goods purchased over the Internet.
I myself use e-commerce almost for everything as it's my only source. My sales only equal about 2% of what I buy, maybe 10 times a year? There's no Efin way I'm going to charge some guy in Utah sales tax on a $25 item and then turn around and send that state some measly $3.50 tax check! And because I am now an appointed tax collector for the grand state of Utah. I should be compensated for upholding that Honorable position. We'll just call it even on that $3.50.
But before I do anything, I'll give the item away as a gift and ask for reimbursement for the cost of "handling and shipping" which just by coincidence equals the selling price of that item. I may be wrong here but my time and trouble is not a taxable item and I am free to collect whatever my customer and I agree on!