Thread: White Smoke?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogs61 View Post
I had posted an issue with my GY6 engine last year and just now getting around to tearing it down...

SYCARMS has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - White Smoke? - in the 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech forum of BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum.

This thread is located at:
http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/sh...7&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:

As a reminder... The karts I bought were from the box 150cc SunL Model 2-A that I had bought used.. They had been sitting up and after putting new carbs on them they ran really well... Until... A few hard rides and they both started blowing white smoke. I've taken the one engine down and although the valves are all but sealed shut, the rings, piston & cylinder wall itself look fine. There is a score on the wall of the cylinder
I finally got a micrometer and have the 57.4 mm cylinder on it.

Realize I'd never be able to free the valves, but cylinder/piston looks OK, although I think new rings are in order- especially since I have it torn down. Notice the kit that the replacement rings have 5 total, 4 plus the thicker one closest to the shaft. I only took 2 off. How do you get the lower (thicker) one off?

Thanks!
This is a classic sign of a motor that sat up and the rings stuck in the bore. The cylinder walls show 2 places on it where the rings rusted to the bore. Since the bore is worn so bad another cylinder or big bore kit will be the only option to repair this top end.