View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Default Another Helix headlight option

Here's a few pics of how we handled the headlight for our Helix. Don't let the size fool you, this is probably one of the brightest headlights I've had on anything yet it consumes hardly any power. We had one of the bigger square lights on our old Helix and it worked fine but it drew enough power that when at night in idle, turning off the headlight would raise the idle RPM just a tad. That's an indication of a load on the electrical system. With this setup, we put in a battery from a Carbide (BS12 series) to replace the factory helix BS9. The cost is the same.

I tacked on a little plate right in front of the steering wheel and bought a $4 on off switch at AutoZone. I ran the wiring through a wire loom that I had laying around. You can see it running along the rail from the headlight in the one pic below. For power, in the ignition area, the black wire is the keyed wire meaning it gets power when you turn the key on and more importantly, it shuts off power when the key goes off so the headlight will only work with the key on.

I ran the ground to the same plate as I installed the on off switch for the headlight.

That said, I used a wire tap from the black wire coming from the ignition to one side of the on off switch. The the other end of the on off switch goes to one wire of the headlight. The other wire of the headlight goes to the ground.

Oh ya, I have one more of these headlights left. I am likely going to use it for the prize on the next contest!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (58.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (52.1 KB, 63 views)