View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Power User

Everything that has wires is connected. If the FEV is under the 2-in. or so tall black plastic cover on the left side of the carb as viewed from the rear, then yes it's hooked up and running without a resistor = bad X. ))

That's a short clip of the first couple minutes of about 15 minutes run time.
It holds idle fine--i bumped it up a little because it was sputtering a little on initial tip in.

The one vacuum port that i don't have hooked to anything is just below the top gold cad plated cover (think it's a diaphragm cover of some type) Blocking that kills it asap, I take it running a line off it into the air filter would probably be the best thing to do with it? (I don't like open ports beyond the air filter) It also seemed to start out pretty quiet and got louder by the end of the run, i may chop a bit of the last of the run out of the vid to see if it sounds any different.

I've got tinnitus, didn't wear my "ears" and will have the ringing from that session for the next day or so. Once it hits--about 5 minutes in it got to me -- everything seems really loud.

Near the end of the run I was getting a little bit of smoke out of the exhaust while running the throttle up in the mid-range. I have no idea how it's jetted, what the valves are like etc. Aside from fixing up the variator and putting on a new belt, I haven't opened anything up on it. In the next day or so I'm going to take the other carb apart, read up on these CVs on the forums here and get myself some education on them. Hopefully I won't wreck any gaskets. Wishful thinking lol. Where's a Q-jet when u need it? )))

Oh ...reverse gear .. I don't have a handle for it yet --about $25 on e-bay or rig something up. I saw you mentioned something in another thread about a cam-style lever/handle for them. I gather it has a protrusion on the handle that rides on an eccentric? I tried pulling on the cable while idling with no drive movement and the idle down pretty low and couldn't get it to budge. Do these take a lot of effort to move the shift fork?

Last edited by x-bird; 02-11-2012 at 05:32 PM.