View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Power User

Doing some layout ideas for the rear. Thinking about running the angle iron outside the rails by about 6 inches then bringing a tube from behind the front wheels to that to act as a nerf bar. It'll get a notch cutout at the vertical rails to get it forward a bit more and tied in tighter at the corner. The box tubing piece has a bend. I want to go fully across with it and have the swingarm mounts come off of it. Right where they mount, I may put diagonal round tubes going up to the upper shock mount area to beef both areas up. Also have to move the shocks inboard by about an inch, going to drop an angle iron base into the corner; just have to rehang the engine to make sure nothing interferes.

Gave the engine another run session yesterday, according to the el cheapo tach, it was running up into the 9000 rpm level with no valve float, hit the wall at 10 grand. Seems to have a "hunting" issue for stable rpm though. Might have been the lack of an airbox and vacuum lines. Also looked like some reversion flow coming out the carb at the upper rpm levels.

Today was "spring cleaning" day --- Took apart the shocks, drained them, seals all look good, this set need new mount bushings and longer lines. Came across a little trick to cleaning the springs after running them on the bench mounted wire wheel. I picked up some rolls of belt-style sandpaper at Fastenal the other day for a buck each (bargaaaain!) Stripped it lengthwise into 1/4 inch wide strips, gave it a wrap around the coil and commenced cleaning them up. Not perfect, but a good method if you don't have a blast cabinet. Just tedious!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sarm86.jpg (30.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg sarm87.jpg (21.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg sarm88.jpg (33.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg sarm89.jpg (28.6 KB, 20 views)