View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 08:51 AM
Power User

Ahhh ... back to work on my baby! Started cutting off the front a-arm spindle towers. Rather than re-use the towers as the new spindles, as I had originally planned, I got to looking at the present spindles i made for the towers. Re-using the towers involves trimming down the excess plate material, cutting the axle off the spindle, welding it to the tower and adding a steering arm.

I'm thinking i could weld a plate to the top and bottom of the spindle tubes (or run shouldered sealed bearings if i can find them) and run a single grade 8 bolt top-to-bottom capturing both heim joints and misalignment spacers if needed . The steering arm i'd cut shorter, closer to the axle centerline and weld a short tube to it parallel with the spindle's vertical tube and attach the tie rod end to that.

It would knock a lot of weight off the ends skipping the towers, be less work overall, but I'd lose about an inch or so of track width on each side doing it.

Anyone think this would be too weak of a setup? the spindle main tube is the 1-1/8" cro mo tubing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sarm42.jpg (29.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg sarm43.jpg (25.9 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by x-bird; 02-08-2012 at 08:56 AM.