View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyMaster View Post
I just ran into something like this on my racing kart. The pilot jet worked reverse of normal meaning the mixture screw is actually metering the amount of air. When you turn it all the way in, it is giving it the most amount of fuel which is what it is looking for. If that carb is in fact set up like that, this means the pilot jet is too small (turn screw all the way in and get the most amount of fuel which it likes and which explains why it runs so much better with it turned all the way in vs what you'd expect is it dying all the way in).
If this is what is happening, then adjusting the clip on the needle inside the slide can richen up the idle (that, and/or putting back in the bigger pilot jet that it came with! )

I kinda worried and thought about all this overnight and got cruddy sleep trying to figure it all out. I'm just concerned that too many things were being altered at once instead of baby steps (try this, reset back to default, try that, reset, etc). If you keep changing things and getting farther away from the default setting you may inadvertently be contributing to worse performance.

At some point, we've got to go past "mechanic's intuition" and switch over to a calculated "engineer's process" of experiementation.

I'm hoping the reason he hasn't responded yet today is because he got it worked out and is having too much fun in the sun to get to the computer!