View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 04:48 AM
Power User

Are you thinking about the exterior or interior ?

plasti dip has its uses but needs to completely envelope the surface it's applied to. I made some unobtanium core support bushings for my firebird and coated them with it almost 15 years ago and they've held up well. (of course, the aftermarket finally came out with a high dollar bushing after my article on my creation came out.)

If you coated the outside of the box, it would have to go around the lid/drawers and continue to the inside and meet up again at all points. it's bonding to the actual surface isn't very strong at all. That's why the handles coatings on pliers etc will slip off after awhile even though they're intact. if the coating ended at the outside and didn't go around under the lid edge or drawer edge, it would just peel or lift right off. with it going around the edges you're going to run into clearance issues and it will eventually wear through/cut at the edges and lift. You will also have the fun of dismantling the whole thing to do it and it would take a lot and be pretty messy to do. For a layer on the bottom of the drawers, it'd work well.

Vinyl wrap is basically a better choice for sticking to a single surface but doesn't offer quite the durability when it comes to scratches and scuffs.

bedliner spray in rattle can?

Last edited by x-bird; 08-09-2013 at 04:50 AM.