View Single Post
Old 02-26-2018, 08:08 AM
Contributor

A panhard bar only really sees load force in a lateral direction with the joint. You might be able to use lower quality heims there and get by for awhile. Having them hanging out over the end of an a-arm like that they see forces in every direction. The steering ones mentioned will have extra bracing ribs in the joint body and/or be larger (not to mention not cast on quality ones).

IMHO 1/2 inch is too small. Just by looking and judging I wouldn't suggest any smaller than 5/8 and push 3/4. My experience is more towards automotive but I've been in a bad wreck because of suspension failure so I tend to lean towards gross overkill. Since you already have 1/2 inch bungs welded in I would go for the highest rated ones you can find. A $100 heim joint bill now is cheaper than a few grand hospital bill later.

As for the brackets, gussets, and such you might want to see if you have any local welding shops. I have been getting mine cut locally for years at a fraction of what I can find them anywhere online. Get them any thickness or design I need in a matter of minutes. If I win a lotto a cnc plasma table is the #2 thing on the list of things I'm buying.

Last edited by neo71665; 02-26-2018 at 08:17 AM.