View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 09:28 AM
Contributor

It has been a little while.. Since my last post I've adopted a little girl, switched jobs, and built a house on my 45 acre lot. I've got so much room for activities. Shop is next on the list but in the meantime I started messing with the buggy again.

I pulled the oversized knobbies off the back and put some stock tires on. The buggy is so much more fun without all that traction. Before, in turns, the buggy wanted to lean. Inside rear tire always wanted to grip and roll. Not a problem now. I kept spinning out in turns after the swap. Such a great feeling when you get that perfect drift on a sharp turn.

Anyway, back to the carburetor - My intake boot tore on the stock carb so I stuck the big CV carb back on. I have been wanting to play with it ever since I couldn't get it to run right a while back.

I was curious to see if I could get the thing to idle right. I changed the angle of the carb by changing the engine mount bolt. I got it a lot more level which makes me feel better but didn't seem to change much. I tried a couple different sizes of pilot jets and couldn't get anything to work quite right. It would idle fast but wouldn't drop down to a slow idle rpm. On the third jet I can't remember what I was doing but I backed the screw out a LOT. What I found is that I can get the buggy to idle beautifully if I nearly remove the adjustment screw on the side of the carb. I can't remember if this is a fuel or an air screw, I was hoping someone on here could explain why this would make sense. I ended up with a 125 main. Buggy runs fine but it isn't quite right. After a long decel the engine doesn't want to take throttle again. I'm assuming that is because my pilot jet is probably way too large (I was testing 2 sizes larger than I had originally when I realized that backing out the screw allowed the buggy to idle). Thoughts?