View Single Post
Old 05-28-2019, 03:44 PM
Contributor

Okay, maybe I am miss interpreting what a catch can is on these little engines. When I build a "large" VW engine, we add breathers to both valve covers, and run them up to the sides of a sealed box filled with coarse steel wool. On the bottom of the box, a hose is attached to the stock breather location on the engine, to allow any oil to drain back. On the top of the box, a hose is ran to a top of one of the air cleaners (dual carbs), to draw off any water vapor or condensation. So I assume that a catch can must do something similar (we call them breather boxes). However, on these little engines, how do you get the collected oil to return to the engine? On both of my buggies (hammerhead 170, and pumped up Joyner 250), I run a long breather hose up high, then install a clear fuel filter on the end. This allows the harmful vapors to escape, without loosing any oil, and I can watch the color of the filter to see what is going on.

Do you have a pic of your catch can? I am really curious on how it works.

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.