View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 12:53 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Picked up a buggy - need some help

Hi all,

So I picked up a 2014 Kandi 150GKA-2 buggy the other day. Guy said the belt broke and he parked it six months ago and realized he is not going to mess with it. Here it is (came with seats - pulled them to clean them):

Still wondering why he cut the exhaust off to remove the belt cover to check out the belt?!? At least it was a clean cut so I can weld it back together....

So I brought it home and pulled the carb and took it apart and used the ultrasonic cleaner with Simple green. Cleaned up nice. Put it back on, charged up the battery, emptied and cleaned the gas tank, new fuel filter. Of course the key did not work so I cranked it by jumping the solenoid. (wiring needs more work than I originally thought). Cranks but will not fire. Checked that I had spark at the plug (held near frame). So I pulled out my compression tester - uh oh - topping out at 30ish. Hmmmm......thought I was doing something wrong so I went to my Baja Dune 150 and got 125psi there. (I did not hold the throttle open on either buggy when doing it - something I learned today googling). Ok.....
Drained the oil and did not see any metal pieces (whew!). Checked the valves and the intake(top) would not let any gauge through it. Adjusted both to .004. Still nothing - cranks but does not fire at all.
Now this has a ton more wiring than my old dune - turn signals, horn, high/low beam, obnoxious beeping with hazards on (sheesh!).
It also appears that it has (had) the brake pedal switch - but the wires were cut so I twisted the ends together.
So aside from low compression (unless I am doing something totally wrong) what else could it be?
The guy said it was running fine, his daughter made a turn in the field and the tire lifted a few inches off the ground and then it just stopped. That is when he discovered the broken belt. I realize he could be feeding me a line, but I have since contacted him if anything else happened and he has appeared to be fully honest and asked for me to keep him up to date on what I find out .
If it is just low compression and I need a new piston/head, I am ok with that as a new kit seems reasonable:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01303YJKU...I3V6Q82H7WLAP2

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by jpcjguy; 02-22-2017 at 05:59 AM.