View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Heavy Contributor

Oh yea , the quick release is definitely a handy item. Especially for those larger than life people. I'm 6'4", 235lbs. Plenty of room inside the cage but entry and exit are a tricky maneuver. I don't bend and flex so well anymore. There are several versions of the QR. one has a splines male end than welds to the column and another with a 5 side hex shape, . I chose the 5 sided over the splined because it's easier for me to align the steering wheel when I pop it on. I like having the wheel properly orientated. My steering wheel has a marker at the 12:00 position to show when the front wheels are pointed in a straight line. The QR's come with eithers a release pin that either gets pushed or pulled depending on the brand, or a 360 degree collar that is squeezed upwards to release the wheel. I chose the 360 type cause I can remove the wheel with one hand from any position by reaching through the wheel and squeezing the collar . No fumbling around feeling for that pin. Especially when you find yourself upside down. It's harder than you think!
Most all the QR's were for a 3/4 shaft. it's a simple fix to get a 3/4 to 5/8 steel bushing for the yerf column. If you already have a 3/4 shaft your set to go.
A lot of the QR's are model specific for a particular type of car. you wanna look for a competition universal type with a 3- 1/2", 3 bolt steering wheel pattern. The yerf wheel bolts right up and so do most all of the aftermarket wheels.