View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 12:36 AM
Contributor

Default Update

Yea I used 6 GA because nowhere around here had any 8 GA at all.
Only 1 place had some 6GA so that's what I ended up using.

The rear rewire is done and charging system is working beautifully.

The same can not be said for the beginnings of the front.

I have to go back through the wiring for the front.

All I had run for the front was key switch and kill switch. All with new wire and connectors.

Kill switch worked just fine but key switch was a different animal.

First it was popping fuses like crazy.
I went over everything and could not find anything wrong so bounced up from a 15A to a 25A figuring maybe the bigger wire was just drawing more amps.

The 25A held just long enough to melt the key switch connector and the front/rear junction connector. (The front rear connector melting also had the wonderful side affect of causing a direct short to the solenoid and triggering the starter to run non stop till I cut the wires at the back of the connector. Thank god I had cutters right there)

Disconnected the front connections and went over everything in the back and verified that the only area that experienced any problems/heat what the key switch lines.

So somewhere in the key switch to solenoid wires I did something wrong.
Will be going back to square 1 and going over everything again to figure out where I screwed up. (Did I mention that electrical is not my strong suit and I am definitely not in my comfort zone)

Haven't had the chance to check and make sure there was no internal damage to the key switch because it all happened right before I had to get ready for work.

Im thinking that I got something crossed and have 2 hot wires going to the keyset somehow or that the connectors I was using are not heavy enough to do the job.

I don't think it was just the connectors because the ones at the key switch were standard spade type (pretty heavy) while the front/rear connector was the white motorcycle type (pretty light) and it melted both. Also I used the motorcycle type in several places on the back wire harness and none of them are having any problems at all and it was fine with the 15A fuse until I turned the key switch to on then it would pop instantly.

Really hoping I didn't screw the key switch up. (Wife would be real unhappy about having to order a part I already replaced)

Wont get a chance to touch it again until Saturday but will let you guys know what I find.

Last edited by plee911; 08-06-2018 at 12:43 AM.