Thread: Snow Tires??
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 09:26 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
What do you mean about the cvt and engine upgrades? Not sure I am up for that. I just want the kid to be able to ride the thing in the snow rather than look at it in the garage.

We live in Syracuse and already have had 4ft of snow this year. And the stock tires are useless with even an inch on the ground.
Not talking about tearing the engine down for a big bore kit. Just making the engine produce a little more power and changing the rollers in the cvt for lower gear ratio. It's not a hard task and the only special tool needed is an impact gun to remove the variator. Larger dia. tires will create a higher speed ratio making it harder to get under way from a stop. Lighter rollers will keep the cvt in low gear for longer. A combination of lighter rollers and stiffer main spring behind the clutch works best. A performance DC-CDI will really wake that engine up along with a UNI air filter and larger main jet in the carb. I know it's for your son and you probaly don't want to mod it to much for his saftey, but you don't want him to get bored with it either. There are plenty of members on here along with upgrade vids that can walk you through it.