View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 01:26 AM
Power User

cooking with wood

#1 done
Finished file-fitting the pieces for the second arm--another welding session in the am, then the fun of drilling and installing the bung tube (which turned out to be exactly what i was initially seeking for the bottom arms) i have about 4 1/2 to 1 inch piece of the cro-mo tubing left, so after the notcher grabbed the edge of the first arm i tried it on and made a bit of a mess of it, i just ground the notches on these out with my angle grinder. Angle cuts i did with the recip saw and a new blade with the tubing in the wood "mitre" i made when doing the lowers. surprising how accurate you can be with a recip ...

skipped using a jig this time around to hold them while welding and just worked on one of the pieces of table saw side extensions (flattest non-wood thing i have) that i've had laying around in the basement for years where they even came from ...

I'm thinking a test ride may be in store by sunday if i can get the shock mounts in and the rack installed. Tried every which way, front steer is the only spot for it. really would've worked nice in between the arms, (have the room to mount it) but in a full turn the end of the rack would hit the upper arm (possibly the lower if a good bump was hit in a corner.)

other than that i still have to make the little bellcrank for the brake master linkage, convert 1 more rim to 4 on 4, swap the tires and mount the engine electrics somewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sarm147.jpg (95.1 KB, 22 views)