View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SlickNick View Post
So the wife surprised me again.... This time with a Craftsman 10" compound mitre saw. Yay yay.
Anyways I love it, but I need some metal cutting blades. Cheapest i see is about $50
I assume I would want the blade because it makes less sparks and cuts better than an abrasive wheel, right....
Could i use a 10" abrasive wheel if I wanted to?
Where, what blades do you guys use??
LOL, I was just looking at something like this on craigslist, and doing some research, I found that the miter box saws that are purposely made for cutting wood, have a smaller motor and spin the blade at the wrong RPM for abrasive and metal cutting blades. A real bummer for me, as there are tons of nice makitas listed here since we were one of the harder hit areas in the recession as far as construction goes.

I thought about getting a slightly smaller abrasive wheel than the saw calls for, to speed up the wheel a bit, and then start by cutting slowly and see what happens. I read here and there about some saws are ok, and some grenade the head bearings almost immediately. Believe me, I am looking pretty hard since deciding to ditch the stock swingarm and build anew.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'