View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Lite Contributor

OK I found a problem today. The new manifold is shorter on the bottom than the old one and was not screwing down tight to the head.

When I primed it, the gas ran out over the head. This was after redoing the timing. I used a small flat head screw driver to feel the piston come all the way to the top. Took out the old cam and replaced it and set the timing marks on the cam at tdc. Checked the piston again and all lines up perfect.

Adjusted the valves intake 003 and exhaust 004.

Compression seems good but if you crank it, it is smooth till you apply gas and it hits the tdc positon and just wont pass that point without a stuggle. To much gas.

Got it running and it idled well but pull the thotel and it still will not go past 1/2 way and it bogs if you press pedle any farther, same as the new carb did. I am sure it is something simple and just cant figure it out.

I took the plug out and tested it again. Spark is white and (blue near plug plug)
I noticed it is also drawing fuel from the primer at times. It is not backfiring at all so the timing must not be the issue. I think it is either getting too much fuel or air. Not sure which. Had to turn the idle screw out a long way to get it to idle smooth. I put in a new screw I got today in a rebuild kit.

Where can you get a carb kit for a mikuni that was the original carb?? It is the one with the flat top not the pointed type carb.

I noticed this time I got it running there was smoke coming off it but thought it was just the oil and spray I was using around the head. Only ran it a couple min and had to leave.