Thread: Hubs???
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal559 View Post
One more question this has nothing to do with hubs.I got my heim joints to do the ball joint mod you and Ckau did and I was wondering how did you guys drill a hole in the A arm because it looks to difficult to drill by hand and keeping it straight hahaha.

It is easier than you would think, here is what I did.
First & foremost before you remove the ball joint brackets, scribe the A arm in so you will know exactly where the center of the ball joint would be, this is where you want to drill and weld in your bungs. Then cut off the old brackets and drill your holes, I just used a 1/2" hand held drill & it only took a few moments with each A arm. You will need to drill them at a slight angle and then mock everything up & go check you front end for binding & travel before welding anything. I had intended to use a set of FL350 front shocks on her Yerf, but I didn't have them at the time I was doing the Heim mod, so I just kind of winged it on the angle & it all worked out. I think I ended up with just a shade under 6 full inches of front suspension travel before there was any binding in the heims.

This is a very inexpensive & easy mod IMHO and next to the tires, it was by far the best thing I have done to improve her buggy yet. A big thanks goes out to Ckau for sharing this with all of us.

I hope this helps, & if you have any other questions just ask,
Nick...(Rarerat)