View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Power User

a look at the heads and the bores ...typical high mileage carbon, but nothing unusual. valves all are nice and free, seats look good. just need to clean them up. IIRC, this thing had about 13 to 1800 hours (it's an '01 and blew up in the spring of '09) on it when it went kablammo!

Yes, i now have yet another puller for the collection ... Can you ID the parts (3-bolt clamp/hanger for 7/16 aircraft cable held together with 2 pontiac upper control arm bolts, two soda machine safety lock plates--they cover the normal lockset, a variety of large wwashers and spacers underneath include 2 upper control arm bushing shells--glad i redid the bird's suspension this spring ) It took quite a while (about 1.5 hours including setup) of running down the two bolts, taking it apart, stacking in another washer, resetting and running it down again to move this thing all of a couple inches.

the culprit, one grenaded governor ... all the missing bits have been found, a few fell out while working on getting the cover off.

The bearing itself is fine, no scratches or unusual wear patterns etc. i reversed the cover and slid it on the crank to test, and all seems normal, smooth like buttah. The inner portion, which I think should have ample clearance and no contact with the crank, is a mess. something--either nylon or a bit of metal got in between and locked it up.

on the crank, again the bearing surface area is fine, the damage is where the case portion is. I'm thinking a light polish, a good clean-up of the case and i'm back in business with this.
I learned one lesson the hard way--there's no need to undo the waterpump portions of the case. Used the deadblow to pop them loose to make sure the "hang-up" wasn't in there ... Now i have to pop the impeller---which looks like a delicate, PITA job--- to reseal that case level along with the outer case that covers it.

On the needs list now are head gaskets, new wiring harness (homemade), torque specs for the case and head bolts, good carb cleaning and a linkage set-up as i had to rob this one for my new engine.

So sadly, I could've saved this engine, but for our business, the scag can't be down for a week, at the time, I had no time to deal with a teardown and figured the damage was far worse, this thing revved off the charts it seemed.

So, do I
A:fix this,sell it for a decent buck and use that for the Robin and call her done,

B;keep it and create a ground bound woods yerf-asaki rocket that'll likely mimic steve austin's eventful return to earth,

C; keep it and call the yerf done with a throttle limit and pedal mods for my daughter and put some money into a big pile of tubing to build something from ground up?

I know what's the easy choice, the wise choice, and the fun choice but how in the hell to pick ????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg head.jpg (31.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg bore.jpg (34.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg tool.jpg (29.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg cover.jpg (40.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg galling.jpg (22.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg crank.jpg (16.2 KB, 31 views)