View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedshopmike View Post
selection B, please, yerfasaki all day long.
it'd be fully badass but still livable for a "daily driver", methinks.
put some big gnarly, tall tires on it; you'll have plenty o' torque to pull the height and scare yourself pisspanted up top.
plus it'll sound cool and you can run duals w/ splitters.
Well, after a lot of thought, I decided not to do the above, as much as I'd like to. Instead, I'm going to get this engine back together and running and shelve it.

Meantime the yerf is going to get a second set of "quick release" pedals installed for my little one to use (adjustable throttle stop on the gas so I can let her have more as time goes by. When i want to drive it, i'll just pop the clevis pins out so my calves don't hit the pedals. I'm also going to make a new set of spindles for it as I cracked the gusset underneath on one during the roll yesterday--it hit a log in the pile. Only went on its side, a chopped off poplar trunk was about 6 inches from my chest when i came to a stop--went into the pile pretty much fully sliding on the side.

as for the kawasaki, i'm starting to look out for wrecked midgets--should be a few around here with all the dirt tracks we have--if i can score a stripped one for $200 or less, i'm in business. I made the choice based on the fact that to mount the engine, buy a trans, build a rear suspension to handle it, widen the body (the stock bench is beating me up too much and my neck is getting fubared from my helmet hitting the roll bar.) make a taller roll hoop and make a new front suspension, I'm literally building a bigger buggy around the yerf with way too many structural compromises. It got to the point that I was thinking about building a ladder frame front to rear and welding C-channels on it to drop the yerf chassis into. by the time I did that, so little was actually useful--the floorpans lol) that the answer was simple. build a new one for the same cost/effort. if this was an 06 or 09, different story. Instead I'm either going to cut up something like an old chassis (even and odyssey or 06-09 yerf) or build one from scratch. I've got basically all the front end parts and design done. the rear irs idea I have is exactly (so exactly laid out that it's spooky) like the design used by these guys in their buggy plans--

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Forward-Neut...item3cbde72daf

The end result is that I end up with something my daughter can safely use for years to come with no extra cost--and that I can still tool around in the meantime, and a project I can work on over the winter that'll allow my daughter, my wife and I all to share in the fun.

Last edited by x-bird; 11-05-2011 at 09:37 AM.