View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Power User

I haven't checked exactly what (if any) angle the spindle sits on the arm, once i have them off it's just a matter of checking the center of the bracket holes in relation to the arm. These things likely run with 4-6 degrees of camber-changing slop from wear anyway.

I'd be leery of extending the arms--- personally i don't trust this tubing all that much. Mine have dings in the tops of them from hitting the tubes that the plates are mounted to. Longer arms means more bending force applied at that point of impact. That's one of the issues that got me to thinking about putting in a second set of plates and moving the holes down and out. It would eliminate the bottom out hits, widen the front track a bit and provide more clearance. extending arms would achieve the items you mentioned, but for what I subject this poor lil thing to, i don't know if it's worth risking. I'm sort of working on improving performance and durability and am throwing the compromised factor to the performance side.

when i say bushings or bearings, i'm actually meaning sealed bearings or solid bronze. regardless, anything is better than a bolt pivoting in a mild steel hole with nothing in between. As for the spindle, the mounting bracket and the spindle tube will both have bronze bearings--the bracket's will just be cut flush to the thickness of the bracket material ....

choice scrap find of the week --tripped over it buried in the brush by my little track.... a sawhorse made out of a I-beam that looks to be 1/4 thick steel and about 4 or 5 inches wide on the inside the beam. Got my bracket materiel Now what to do with the section of railroad track i found out there last year??? hmmm sneak weld it under a competitors cart or put it inside the firebird's bumper for traction ... oh crud ... bent headers ....