View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Power User

Check the axle right next to the hub and make sure there isn't a buildup of rust and dirt. it doesn't take much to lock a shaft onto a hub or bearing. If it's dirty, the axle is oversize to the hub and the more you work it into the dirty part, the tighter it'll get. clean it up with a wire brush followed by some fine grit emery cloth run around the axle like a shoelace--just pull back and forth until you have clean bare metal right next to the hub-- and all the to its end.

If that doesn't do it then ...

If you can get the axle to drop out with the wheel/s attached, (you may have to tweak the bearing hangar over a bit to pop it out) and can figure out a way to make a pair of solid "stacks" (pair of really beefy sawhorses, 4x4 or bigger wood post stubs --cinder blocks would work, just stack them hole-side up etc.) you can deflate the wheel, rest the rim edges on the stacks (on a piece of 2x4 etc to protect them) with the axle hanging in between them and drive it out downwards using a hefty wood block and a 3 to 5 or 8 pound sledge. reassembly--new or old, use anti-seize on the axle. The driver's side on mine was always a fight.
Even with my brand new axle (spiderbox splined type) and new hubs I have one that's tight and i have to work it off with the big deadblow hammer on the tire.

Last edited by x-bird; 02-21-2012 at 10:07 PM.