Thread: stator bad?
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Contributor

Default stator bad?

Well now that I've settled on a decent light kit (single 55 watt halogen H3 light on a switch, kit from Wal-mart) and upgraded to a BS-12 battery, I'm still having troubles with the battery dying. It seems to only last about a couple weeks, and the alarming thing is this is without running with the headlight much (maybe 5% of the total run-time during these couple weeks). Turned out the battery read 11.5V I let it charge overnight, put it back in the kart and checked the voltage again before starting. Read 13V.

Now, question is, when I run the kart, should those voltages rise on the terminals given the stator is charging the battery? I had my brother step on the gas a bit in neutral, and the voltages never moved.

If it's a bad stator, would I be able to order a stator designed for the Carbide, as it is a 6 pole rather than a 4 pole in the Helix from what I heard in earlier threads? Both engines are nearly identical, pretty much the same GY6 setup besides the air intake, if I'm not mistaken.