View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 08:23 PM
Lurker

Default Carter gtr 250 starting issues

Hello everyone, I hope someone out there can help me out on an issue I'm having with this buggy. i may just need to stop working on these carters. But I love the way they look and the ground clearance on these. Anyway, I have a carter 250 that I bought with everything intact and original. This was exciting because I bout one of these last year with an aftermarket carb and have still not been able to get it running. That's another story. This buggy however was up and running as soon as I put it back together after cleaning the carb. It took a couple of tries and some carb cleaner spray but then it started. It idles great and I let it run until fan kicked in and off. Everything was great. I turned it off and on a couple more times. I noticed that sometimes it would sound and feel like the engine would lock up. Like the starter stopped turning and would lock in place. I could keep hitting the key and hen the buggy would start up. I drive it around and it drove great. But he knocking/locking up bothered me. So a couple of days late I tried to take it out again and it would start but sometimes make that ugly sound. Then all of a sudden nothing. No starting at all. I thought I had fried the starter so I went to take it off and noticed it had got caught in place. So I bolted not back down and tried again and it started but made that noise again the first time. I turnedto Did and tried again and after a couple of tries it locked up again. Took off started and looked inside and the gear that it engages was missing teeth. I freaked out. Took side cover off and replaced gear with one from buggy purchased last year. The starter didn't turn smooth so I blamed it on that and used one from old buggy. Put it all back together and its still doing it. But only when I hook up the spark plug wire. Without it I can crank it all day long with no knock or locking of starter. Please help me. Thanks