View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 10:48 PM
Lurker

Update on this just in case someone ever comes across the same issue. I was not able to find out the correct size flywheel puller for this engine. Before trying to pull the flywheel with a harmonic balancer/steering wheel puller I searched and searched online until I came across a single post describing exactly what was happening to my buggy. When trying to start a loud clank/engine locking up. But every now and again it would start and once started ran great. The post I came across realized the CDi was not original and once he swapped it out for an original it fired up perfectly. Well as previously stated I had a non running project I bought last year that I kind of gave up on. So I checked the CDi from this buggy and sure enough they were different. This one was smaller in size and looked brand new. I'm assuming previous owner replaced it with a generic kind that obviously will not work on this sym engine. I swapped in the Cdi from project buggy and it fired right up no noises and idled great. Tried it over and over for about an hour every 5 min and it fired up every time. Took it for a spin and buggy runs great. Apparently cn and cf style 250 cdi are easier to locate and use. Whereas the carter 250 needs a specific kind not interchangeable with other 250cc cdi. I hope this may help someone out in the future. I'm just glad I didn't start tearing this thing apart. Now I need a carter 250cc cdi for my original buggy. If someone out there has one they'd like to sell I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.