View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 09:33 PM
Lite Contributor

I'd put the exhaust back on... I don't think I'd ever run right w/o the back pressure and the velocity that the exhaust gases have by having the exhaust back on. There is a choke (enrichment valve) on the carbs... still, I'd try to let it idle and let the motor warm, then see if it wants to idle better then... that may tell you something in itself. Check for loose hoses/vacuum leaks. You've been digging deep and taking a lot of big stuff apart and putting them back together. One vacuum leak from a hose disconnected can cause a poor idle. I don't know if you have the stock intake, but you also try variations of snorkel hose on/off... filter in/out etc. I found that the idle was never that great until I got rid of that extra 'snorkel' hose it came with... and did better still w/a unifilter on a velocity stack I made from some old hose that was on the airbox. The stock airbox setup just absolutely choked the engine to the point it could barely breathe.

The first time I tried to adjust the lash, I thought I had it good, but I must have had the rocker arms loose or tighten/loosened something in between because it ran so-so and I could hear valve noise. Turns out I'd adjusted from super tight to waaaay too loose. Took me 2 tries. Remember too, 1 tooth off on timing will equal a poor running engine so make sure you're dead on TDC.

If you got it running and trying to idle, even if it's poorly, you're making progress.

Last edited by charleswrivers; 08-31-2017 at 09:40 PM.