Thread: 39t sprocket
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
I think i've read somewhere that 6 to 8 inches is the max length for extending the air filter from the carb. Anyone have insight on this? I'd actually like to be able to get the filter up around or above the rack just to keep it out of the mud zone.
If you go by the math, CC's ,displacment, stroke and all that other techno stuff it works out to be a total of 14" measured from the end of the velocity tube, through the carb, intake , head tract to the combustion side of the intake valve. Taking into account the thickness of gaskets and couplers. I measured this a while back and came up with a velocity tube of approx. 6.75 ". There's too many variables to nail it down but something in that range works good.
The purpose of the tube is to reduce air turbulance and enhance velocity by straightening out the air flow before it enters the carb. Too long a tube reduces velocity. Too short doesn't give the air enough time to organize. Bends in the tube counter-act the purpose. Playing with the length does give a marked difference in throttle response and final air/fuel ratio.