Thread: 39t sprocket
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
EDIT:

If you put it on the largest sprocket on the crank, and the smallest on the wheel, you peddle your butt off and go 1/2 MPH. BUT, you have the ability to climb a mountain in that gear.

Now go the opposite. Smallest gear on the crank, and the largest on the wheel, you have the ability to go 30 MPH. However, you have to stand on the preddles at take off, and it takes you a LONG time to get there.

These are the same way. Only instead of the "crank" sprocket, I say "engine" sprocket. And instead of the "wheel" sprocket, it's the "axle" sprocket.

To make things more complicated, if you change your rear tire size, you have also changed your gearing. Not alot, but a little bit.

Hope i didn't confuse you too much.

Hate to pop your bubble, but you've got that bass ackwards my friend

Big ring at the crank/little at the wheel = top speed and a ton of effort to turn. Little ring up front (crank), big at the wheel = wheelies, rock/vertical climbing etc. Take it from a bmx/mtn bike racer with 25+ years of competition/bike building.

For the buggies the engine output shaft and axle sprocket operate on the reverse principal of a bike because the engine has already gone from the variator pulley to the clutch pulley/output shaft sprocket.