Thread: 39t sprocket
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
Let me first ask you what buggy you have. Sprocket changes do not create more power. All you do with sprocket changes is move your power curve. The buggies come set up from factory for all around performance. Larger axle sprocket or smaller output sprocket will increase low end torque. Going the opposite way will give more top end torque. So no matter which you go you will improve on one end but suffer on the other.These motors were designed for scooters of less then half the weight pushing one wheel and driving one wheel. The only way to make more power is to build the engine to take in more fuel and air and efficiently burn it. The average naturally asperated engine only fills 65% of the cylinder with A/F mixture weather it be a car or ATV or Cycle. To make more power you need to mod the engine to efficiently bring in more A/F above the 65% volume. Now as for the sprocket , a 520 and 530 sprocket or chain has both different width and pitch. Yes you can mix the 2 but you will be constantly changing sprockets and chain on a frequent basis.
Enter the Grammar Police. I must start by explaining that I lack the ability to type with speed and accuracy and therefore often prefer to explain the thoughts of my head in short terms that the majority would have the ability to understand by applying common wisdom. I must apologize for this shortcoming and endeavor to explain my thoughts with greater clarity. I certainly never meant to imply that by changing a sprocket one would miraculously create more power in an engine that was untouched and unchanged by the alteration of said sprocket. I merely wished to express my desire to have a variety of sprockets to choose from in differing situations. A 13t that would benefit me in a situation where I may be climbing hills and would not be adversely affected by the lose of top end speed and a 16t which would be desirable in situations where greater top end speed was a possibility. For those who didn't understand my post I will attempt to help you understand. By changing the drive sprocket this would lower the top end speed at Wide Open Throttle. This results in less strain on the engine when delivering its power to the wheels. To illustrate: If you have ever tried to accelerate from a stop on a 10-speed bicycle while in the highest gear, you have experienced the great strain that this puts on your muscles; however, if you change to the lowest gear the strain is gone but you don't go as fast. This is in no way is meant to imply that by changing the gear you instantly have more muscle mass. In this way there is a big difference in creating power by building the engine and reducing the strain on the engine by lowering the gear ratio. I could imagine that this could be perceived by some as an increase in power due to the greater and more instant throttle response. For those of you who were offended by my gross misuse of the word "power" I offer my most sincere apologies. Please know that in the future I will apply myself to better explaining the thoughts in my head. If; however, I chose at some future point "not" to spend 30 minutes typing out a thought that i could explain in a few short sentences that the majority would understand, then please feel free to correct me again. Or if you so chose please ask my to clarify my thoughts and I would be glad to do so. I am only human after all and I am bound to err again. As to the thoughts on the 520 530 chain sprocket issue, the sighted article explains that the "pitch" of 520, 525, and 530 chains is 5/8". As to the validity of this article I can not comment. But other information that I gleaned from made to order sprocket manufacturers seemed to support this line of thinking. If I am incorrect then I blame it on the blatant falsehood of information on the internet, or my inability to understand that 5/8" is different on different chains and sprockets. In either case I must again extend my most sincere apologies and hope you will accept that I will do my best to refrain from future infractions such as these. I am grateful to have found this forum and truly appreciate the efforts of those who endeavor to expand the understanding of those of us with less experience. Keep up the good work .

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.dmQ&cad=rja

Last edited by SLESTAK75; 12-30-2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: left one thought out