Thread: 39t sprocket
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 06:30 AM
Supporting Vendor

No I'm not selling my personal cam. Back when I was running the 61mm bore with A8 cam I run the stock carb. I still run the stock carb with the 4 valve head. It was only after I installed the 6mm stroked crank with 62mm bore and large 2 valve head that I went with the 30mm carb. I then had my 62mm bore sleeved to a 63mm and ported the large 2 valve head but still used the 30mm carb. My sons buggy in the meantime we built with a 3mm stroked crank my old 4 valve head, running the stock carb. My next step was to have the cam reground and after installing found I needed a larger carb since the 30mm was not getting things done, so I went to the 32mm pump cv carb. I had to run a 46 pilot and 190 main but it lacked in 2 areas. Accelerating from a dead stop I had a dead spot (hesitation) I could not get rid of and after a WOT run my plug was a light tan. I went with a larger main but only saw my mid range power suffer. This is when I realized my carb needed more CFM's and the fact that I had 34 deg. overlap this made the CV carb obsolete since the slide relies on vacuum to operate the slide would no longer efficiently react to a rapid acceleration. This is when I went with the 34mm Mikuni. A carb is not only chosen from amount of CC's. alone since a carb size is chosen for the amount of air the engine pulls through the venturi. When a carb is too large the negative pressure needed to pull the fuel up through the main jet is not sufficient which is one reason some people run larger mains then others to compensate but efficiency is lost.