Thread: Manco XTK-707c
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2016, 01:14 PM
Lurker

Boy have I been having a blast with this buggy. So has my young daughter except for the time daddy hit and knocked down a small rotted out tree!

Finally got hold of a donor quad, its a 92 honda 250x. It had been kept inside so there is no rust. It has front disc brakes which is a bonus.

My original thought was to cut and widen the front clip so it matches the width of my existing front end.

I thought I had read some place that having a wider front than the rear helps with steering? Is this the case and if so why is it that the quad has a narrower front end than the rear end?

It would be so much easier to just graft the front clip on as is. It would also help me on the trails out the back of my place as they have been made by quads and when I get to a chewed out area I tend to ride high on the ridge each side, if you get what I'm explaining?

And on a car you never see a wider front end than the rear.

Also if I keep it intact I am hoping I may be able to cut the bottom of the steering shaft of and rotate it down and use it as my new column. Then I am using factory tie rods and just makes it easier again.

I would just need to weld a bracket on the end to accept a steering wheel.

Also how would I go about joining the front and rear hydraulic brake systems together? Is it as simple as getting some joiners for the lines? I imagine I would need a proportioning valve to ensure proper brake bias?

Phew! That was long.

Thanks.