Thread: Manco XTK-707c
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 04:49 PM
Power User

if you've ever messed with a 1st or 2nd gen F-body, you see the caster in those in that the a-arm inner mounts are angled on the subframe. much less caster though. uni-body strut jobs handle it differently.

If you're keeping it as a 2-seater offset rack and the steering doesnt' really need messed with, you just have to mimic the position inside the new a-arm setup.

Your best bet is to get your rack position setup with the clevises on it (assuming you use a clevis connection to the tie rod) before widening the quad frame. Once you know the spread between the inner tie rod eye points, then you can widen the quad frame so the eye points land right in line with the upper and lower a-arms. the more you deviate, the more bump steer you will get. Wheel will turn as the suspension cycles up and down even going in a straight line--you don't want that.

If the quad suspension provides more travel like mine, (i kept the quad shock mounting points) the yerf inner pivot socket will NOT work, it will bind. moving it to a non binding point will limit the travel and give you bump steer issues. hence the need to make clevises for it.

With the latest build, I knew i had some variability to work with, I had the yerf rack on my rig to measure from to give me a basic width to shoot for.

even with that I shorted myself about 3/4 of an inch in width, so my clevises can't thru bolt in. the bolt head thickness interferes with the tie rod's rod end, so i have to make it stud-style and make a back plate with a stud welded to it. Once i tighten that studded plate on the rack, I can weld my clevis box to it so the clevis sides are vertical at fully tight. then red loctite time.

I wanted to use the flats on the rack end as locks to prevent the clevis from turning. a clevis box with a center hole and two protruding tabs. 3/4 of an inch shy of it working. If i had made the clevises before i split and built the frame, i would've avoided that little annoyance. if i kept as is, it will cause a bit of bump steer, not much, but i want this thing on the money so I'll take the extra time to change plans.

Last edited by x-bird; 12-20-2016 at 04:55 PM.