View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 06:40 AM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
I wanna guess what the muzzle is!!!!! spare tire holder?
Ding Ding Ding !!! Off the Jeep Wrangler that pushes the ball picker.

To where shall I send my pile of old Powerball tickets? I think one has one matching #

I think the story of the yerf shall read ... progress ...setback ...progress ...bigger setback and so on ...

I've set it up with the holes 5 inches on center from one another, original was 2.5 and dropped them two inches, and the whole thing moves the arms forward about two inches. I've got the mounting plates made, haven't welded anything up yet. Suspension travel increases massively, i think i could put shocks with 12 inches of travel in it with no clearance problems at all.
I may angle the plates slightly to eliminate a couple degrees of the inclination they've put in the frame. That is one of the main reasons these single arm front ends get such crazy camber angles while turning with the arms not sitting level. With the black piece mounted as it was made, the two pieces that protrude down aren't at 90-degrees to the frame. Instead of "fixing" that, I may leave it be to help neutralize the camber changes a bit.

I was doing this with the intent of sticking the old arms back on with some new spindles and keeping this close to stock to keep the expense down. All I have to use are step drill bits for anything beyond 1/2-in. diameter and I accidentally overdrilled the first hole diameter for the stock bolts. So I mulled it over and decided to bore them out to 1-in. and use the bearings and new arms I'm making. With that decision made, now I'm rethinking just doing a single arm and setting it up for the double ... Problem is, the position i chose for a single arm makes doing a double a lot more work because the uppers end up in the tight front tubing area and it will delay it because of the expense of the heim joints and other items I need. If i can, i'm going to do it as a single arm job that I can later convert to a double. Whatever I weld to the new arms I'll have to cut off again if I convert it ....

Good news is, found a set of 19x7x9 tires and rims on CL for $20. nearby, no dry rot, hold air without tubes and about 30 % tread left. look like basic knobbies. I can also get a pair of honda used front hubs on e-bay for about 20 a pair that should make the rest of it come together cheaply enough to do in the next week or so.