View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Power User

Well, bit the bullet and welded her up. Abandoned the thought of bolt on, it is what it is now, and if i go to a dual arm, there;s always the recip saw.
Got rid of the lower section of the spare tire mount. It didn't really contribute anything but problems and more work for no gain. It did serve a useful purpose as a setup jig for the swingarm box. The top part I still intend to mount to the front, makes it look kinda midevil (hth do you sp. that??? lol). Inside the box it's braced with some thin gauge steel rectangular box that was the upright part of the Ping golf club rack (getting the mileage out of those things). It still is going to get a gusset off the rear outside corners to the framerails. Castrated the dog's original mounts just below the center hole. Shock mounts have been cut off.

The arms gave me some fits since I didn't set out to use them and already had the box cut and welded to size for the stockers before I changed course. Check out the side view--had to sand the bearings down just to get the arms to fit and it made welding the final crosstube to the arm pretty touchy as the tube is within a hair of being flush with the arm.

Welds are pretty ugly, almost out of wire and the feed is getting iffy, and ran out of gas at the very last moment. Got ready to weld this morning and the power went out for an hour ....something don't want me finishing thankfully my local gas/welding supplier owes me a favor worth about 50-100, so i'm gonna take him up on it today. Got another arm ready to go in the jig, just have to weld it up .....

I'm holding the arm close to where i want it to sit, need to get rims and hubs so i can make my spindles with the right size shafts and set them at the best possible angle --getting tired of having things end up being the wrong size/position when it's too late.

Mike, can you take a look at your shocks as mounted. I'm wondering if the mounts are parallel to the arms or if the upper is set back from the lower a bit to compensate for the caster angle. TIA .... For now stock shocks are going back on, If i can get the steering arms set decently, i can get about 12-14 inches of wheel travel out of this thing if i want. Anyone know the spring rate (lbs) of the stock ones?

gas time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sbox.jpg (27.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg sarm1.jpg (26.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg sarm2.jpg (22.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg sarm3.jpg (31.2 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by x-bird; 11-16-2011 at 11:27 AM.